Thursday, February 14, 2008

confessions of a second-hand christian

"We show how little love
we have for God
by preferring to listen to His servants
rather than to Him.
We like to listen to personal testimonies,
but we don't want
God Himself to speak to us.
Why are we so terrified for
God to speak to us? . . ."
I confess.
I find it easier to religiously read my devotion books before bed, then to really study the Word.
I find it easier to wholeheartedly listen to a friend tell me about God's work in their life, than to listen to God tell me about what He wants to do in mine.
I find it easier to sit in church, nod my head and take a few notes, than to sit for a couple hours and listen to Him alone.
I find it easier to write about God, talk about God, think about God . . . than to fall to my knees in vulnerable humility.
The truth is : I'm often nothing more than a second-hand christian.
And I come to you with these thoughts, things the Lord has really been impressing upon my heart.
Never underestimate the power of a personal encounter with Jesus Christ. Don't belittle the power of prayer, open honesty with Him. and most importantly, don't disrespect the authority of God.

" . . .It is because we know that
when God speaks
we must either do what He asks
or tell Him we will not obey.
But if it is simply one of
god's servants speaking to us,
we feel obedience is optional,
not imperative.
We respond by saying, 'Well, that's only
your own idea,
even though I don't deny that
what you said
is probably God's truth.' "

1 comment:

Kaili said...

Hi Lori,
Nice to meet you.
Thanks so much for de-lurking. I love finding out who reads. It's not creepy at all. Thanks a bunch!