Sunday, December 02, 2007

put it in order

the bed's unmade. the dishes aren't done. the carpet hasn't been vacuumed since who knows when. the windows are grimy. and the shelves are so dusty they are growing whole human beings.

it seems to be nearly impossible to sit in the midst of a choatic house and be at rest. sure, its possible to sit down in exhaustion and dejectedly look at the things to be done . . . but i know that i can't sigh contendly, or kick back my feet in utter relaxation. its not the right atmosphere. even aromatherapy or soft music doesn't help. things need to be in order.

the Bible says that the Holy Spirit dwells in us. I believe that with my whole heart. I can feel His stirrings, His sighs . . . and sometimes, His unrest. And even my foolish human mind can make the connection . . . how can He be at rest within us unless things are in order?


He can't.


He won't be sitting down and having dinner with us, when the backrooms are closed to conceal last year's mistakes, and today's bad attitude. And never mind the truth we shoved under the bed, or the fruits of the spirit that lay rotting on the table.


Get the picture?

This realization has shaken me a bit . . . it would grieve my heart to cause God unrest. more than anything I desire that this home, this temple, be pleasing to Him. Its hard work getting things in order . . . after a long day, the last thing you want to do is more work. you just want to sit and senselessly pass time. but oh . . . nothing beats the feeling of stacks of fresh laundry, or a sparkling bathroom, or those crisp clean sheets. and that closet you used to hate - you now love, because you can actually open it without your life being threatened.


and oh, the overwhelming joy of clean hands and a pure heart.


ok people . . . let's get to work and put things in order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The joy of clean hands and a pure heart - love it!! I'm praying for you and of course oyu know I love you a ton! mom