Tuesday, February 05, 2008

(chûrch)

soooo. lent.
never done it.

growing up, i would listen to my friends complain about how they couldn't eat popcorn or not being able to watch their favorite tv show. i mean come on, can't people be more creative than that? i thought about giving up cleaning my house. or quitting my job. or maybe even, relenquishing my showering routine. no? oh.

in all seriousness . . . i have felt God stirring my heart. I am not going to give up anything really . . . but I am going to be working on a "project" of sorts. i started thinking about it when i read
nancy's blog. then sunday night, God gave me an idea that i am quite excited about. in fact, i started lent a few days . . . there aren't rules for this are there? :)

I am on a 40 day mission to discover God's church.

I have had my struggles with the church. there have been times when i have wanted to walk away (and even done so). . . and times where i have longed to stay, but my heart breaks at what i see happening among the people. but more and more, i have a growing desire for change. i'm not looking for some new age movement, or fluffy teaching . . . but i am looking to see the church be everything God wants it to be. that's big i know. but i also know that its possible.God has blessed me with a wonderful, healthy church here in Sidney - with young people who, like me, are seeking to follow God . . . but who don't want to be silent. we have ideas. we have visions. we have energy. we want to start a new kind of church . . .

...no, not a new church. but a renewed church.

in order for the church to reach its full potential . . . we need to know what the focus is. we need to be building on the right foundation, and speaking only from the truth's He has already given to us.

that brings me to my project.

. . . I want to know what He says in His word about what the chruch is to be, what we are supposed to be doing. i'm going to be spending alot of time in the word searching this out, and alot of listening . . . I am asking for His wisdom. along with that . . . I want to talk with people, listen to people - both inside the church and out. i want to know your thoughts about the church . . . things God has shown you, or taught you about community. or even, just things you want to throw out there. do it annonymously if you want :) here are some ideas to get your juices working . . .

what role should the church be playing in our world, in our lives? what is it's purpose?
what do you think the church should do more of, less of?
what do you look for in a church?


in some ways this may seem academic to you. . . but it is anything but that to me. God is doing something in my heart . . . something i can't explain. maybe I will have a better idea at the end of this all.

my desire is to break down every misconception we have of the church. every hurt. every streak of pride, and temple of self-effort. i want to see what the church looks like when it is stripped bare . . . to see what God sees.

1 comment:

~Nanc. said...

Wow! Good call mate! This will be incredible! I can resonate so deeply with this quest. I feel like it's what I've been on for the past 9 months!
Are you sure you're not able to come to that New Conspirators conference with me at the end of Feb. That is totally what it's all about! Oh but you'll probably be off gallavanting in some exotic place by then won't you!